Our client is now recruiting for a Senior Business Consultant- 6 months contract
Role Purpose (overall high level summary of the role)
Design & Initiation (D&I) plays a key part in the transformational change within the company. The team has two core purposes to support this transformational agenda to become a simpler, better, faster organisation:
• Advising leaders with multi-year transformational agendas, providing structure, planning and input to transformation strategy
• Driving design and mobilisation effort on strategic programmes, adding speed, certainty and accuracy to the structure and the delivery of programme benefits
The Senior Business Consultant will be aligned to a business domain and/or function. The role of the D&I Senior Business Consultant is to help shape and define the change agenda for the Line of Business / Function they support.
Senior Business Consultants will often play a people/team management role within the projects/programmes they work on.
Key activities and capabilities
Problem Solving and Critical Thinking
• Identifying and defining problems related to change delivery for the wider business
• Delivering structure and discipline to an unstructured problem
• Using logic, creative and innovative thinking to devise solutions to business challenges
• Implementing solutions and anticipating their impact on the business operations and cultures
• Leading teams to challenge the operating practices and critical thinking around design of business solutions
Business Analysis and Design
• Gathering, analysing and tracking business requirements and translating these into business solutions and structures
• Understanding the Group Strategy, imperatives and vision and translating these into a business models
• Translating the business model into an operating model, considering customers, services, teams and governance
• Understanding the impact of change against the target operating model; testing and refining designs with stakeholders and change audiences
Innovation and Idea Management
• Challenging existing thinking, generating new and creative ideas
• Engendering an innovative, learning-oriented culture where all employees feel able to contribute new ideas and approaches as well as involving change audiences in generating new ideas
• Willing to experiment, take risks to consider new and untested approaches and learn from the results
• Looking outside of the organisation at technical and social trends and applying these to idea generation
Delivery at Pace
• Prioritising the work and that of others effectively
• Understanding the critical path for delivery and removing and obstacles or roadblocks
• Planning and preparing to ensure resources are used efficiently and effectively
• Managing and understanding your capacity and that of your team(s)
Resource and Team Management
• Identifying resourcing gaps and sourcing appropriate resources to close gaps
• Defining responsibilities, objectives and task allocation
• Managing performance of individuals and teams against agreed objectives/outputs/ plan
• Building engagement and motivation within a team environment
Planning and Plan Management
• Developing the overall change effort into a series of projects, workstreams and/or component activities; understanding the effort, schedule, dependencies and critical path
• Developing activities into a formal roadmap, defining cost, time, quality, scope and resourcing
• Managing material changes to scope, schedule, resources or budget e.g. through a change request process
• Managing to the plan and agreed business case, including delivery, deployment and release planning
• Understanding the purpose and priorities of the organisation, both now and in the future
• Thinking and acting commercially within the day-to-day operations
• Identifying short, medium and long-term opportunities to develop business and/or revenue from new or existing Group customers, and responding appropriately
• Challenging business decisions that are not aligned to the commercial strategy of the Group
Leading Self and Others
• Leading at all levels to ensure the right results are achieved, in the right way
• Developing yourself and others to bring out the best in everyone in an inclusive way
• Challenging established processes and inefficiencies
• Influencing senior stakeholders
• Being open, honest, clear and inclusive in communications
• Listening well, checking the messages delivered are understood and inviting feedback appropriately to individuals and/or groups in different situations
• Using appropriate communication tools and techniques (e.g. written, presentation, meeting, workshop, interview) to create your desired outcome
• Thinking about how others may interpret your words and actions and taking this into account when interacting with them; structuring communications to explain a change, the impact, benefits and actions to a change audience
• Operate at a management level, working across global business and regions and helping the Consulting Leadership Team to maintain a global perspective on business transformation and consulting efforts.
• Demonstrate the importance and value in engaging consulting support earlier in the change journey to ensure the right problems are being dealt with in priority.
• Play a key role in helping the business define their business problem statements – challenging business perceptions where required.
• Drive to both strategic / programme delivered solutions and quick wins. Drive to both strategic / programme delivered solutions and quick wins.
Role Context (The environment and operating conditions of the role including the extent of guidance and authority)
• Work relatively independently and have the gravitas and acumen to consult with business management.
• Be self-motivated and driven but able to manage and work in a team whenever required.
• Be easily accessible and available to support business stakeholder and Consulting Leadership needs.
• Work closely with and get support from global businesses and global functions he / she should be able to help the Consulting Leadership Team and Business ‘connect the dots’ between businesses, regions, priority markets and countries for the business sponsor.
• Be able to cope and bring structure to ambiguous situations and problems. He / she will be expected to adopt an agile and flexible approach to work.
• Be culturally sensitive.
Management of Risk (Operational Risk / FIM requirements)
• The jobholder will also continually reassess the operational risks and likelihood of operational risk occurring. This will be achieved by reviewing risks associated with the role and inherent in the business, taking account of changing economic or market conditions, legal and regulatory requirements, operating procedures and practices, management restructurings, and the impact of new processes.
• The jobholder should address any areas of concern with line management and / or the appropriate business stakeholders. Effective and timely remedial action should be evidenced.
Knowledge & Experience / Qualifications (For the role – not the role holder. Minimum requirements of the role).
• Be knowledgeable about company’s environment including: Organisation structures; company’s business drivers; Group and businesses’ strategy; Acquisitions and mergers; Processes; Systems and Current state vs. Target state.
• Be knowledgeable of the external environment including: Main banking competitors; Innovation & Technologies; Regulatory environment; Key events in world / local news that could impact the company ; Global economy;
• Have the knowledge and expertise to design solutions that must comply with applicable legal and regulatory requirements – albeit that inherent in the role is the requirement to challenge our interpretation of these requirements to ensure that we take a commercial approach to their implementation.
• Have a good working knowledge and relationships with one or more areas within the lines of business the Senior Business Consultant is aligned to.
• Be able to demonstrate strong business knowledge and sound business sense.
• Demonstrate effective financial skills to develop a detailed business case, including investments, detailed benefits (financial, non-financial and strategic) and link to overall finances of the business
• At least 6 - 10 years of experience working on business consulting / Industry experience within large complex organisations. Overall financial services industry knowledge with specific functional expertise ideal.
• Experience of working closely with Strategy and Planning and the business / function board ideal.
• Demonstrated ability to build, maintain and navigate the organisation using formal / informal networking skills.
• Experience in managing others and directing work efforts to achieve objectives effectively and efficiently.
• Demonstrated experience with organisational change and business transformation; proficiency in Change
• Confidence to challenge – advising and a willingness to speak up when it counts.
• Strong intellect, but not academic in their approach
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills and some experience in face-to-face presentation.
• Problem solving and analysis skills.
Qualifications and Accreditations
• Typically qualifications would include an undergraduate or postgraduate degree
• MBA would be beneficial
• Local industry accreditation e.g. ACIB (Associate of the Chartered Institute of Bankers). Optional