Our Client is the leading sustainable energy partner for businesses, serving commercial and industrial customers in the Middle East and South Asia. The company’s solar and energy efficiency solutions enable businesses to reduce energy costs, improve power reliability and lower carbon emissions.
Our Client's Legal Department is fundamental in driving the success of the business. They are strongly team oriented and the Legal Counsel’s main function will be to support the legal needs of both the commercial and technical teams in the UAE and GCC region on a daily basis.
She/he will ensure our company adheres to legal standards and in-house policies.
She/he will be responsible for enforcing regulations in all aspects and levels of business as well as provide guidance on compliance matters. She/he must be well-versed in legal guidelines and corporate governance best practices, have high ethical standards and work diligently to complete duties keeping in mind the objectives of the business.
She/he must be comfortable saying “no” when necessary and be result oriented.
The role will have the following main functions:
1. Policy development and work
2. Training (from creation to implementation)
3. Enforcement (KYC Checks / investigations…)
4. Business Facilitator through compliance
5. Support fraud risk assessments (if required by external investigators)
This is an existing role, reporting to the General Counsel based in Dubai.
Key Result Areas and Responsibilities:
KRA 1. Policy development and reporting
• Implements and manages control systems to prevent or deal with violations of compliance policies and monitor adherence to them.
• Reviews company policies and suggests updates when required.
• Prepares reports for senior management and external regulatory bodies.
KRA 2. Training and support
• Educates and trains employees on regulations and industry practices.
• Addresses employee concerns or questions on legal compliance.
• Reviews the work of colleagues to identify compliance issues and provide advice or training.
KRA 3. KYC and third-party due diligence
• Maintains the current KYC process.
• Continuously reviews and updates KYC processes based on current business requirements and needs.
• Generates metrics and evaluates for the third-party due diligence.
KRA 4. Investigation and fraud risk assessment
• Revises procedure reports periodically to identify hidden risks or non-conformity issues.
• Collaborates with external and internal auditors, business development, legal counsels and the HR department to monitor enforcement of standards and regulations.
• Keeps abreast of regulatory developments within or outside of the company as well as evolving best practices in compliance control.
Educational Background and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in business or a similar field.
• At least 3 years in compliance management.
• Experience in GCC/MENA
• Awareness of cultural differences and varying legal/regulatory environments.
• Experience of working independently and cross-functionally.
• Experience of working in a multinational, multi-segment, environment with matrix reporting.
• CCEP Certified Compliance and Ethics Professional.
• Experience in Africa.
• Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) certification (preferred)
• FCPA Foreign corruption practices act (US) and UK BA Bribery Act.
• Previous experience in solar or renewable energy sector.
• In-depth knowledge of the industry’s standards & practices, regulations, and of legal requirements and controls (i.e., anti-bribery and corruption).
• Analytical skills and Business acumen
• Assertive, diplomatic business partner
? Ability to prioritize and handle numerous competing demands in a high-volume, fast-paced working environment.
? Proven ability to work effectively in independent settings.
? Essential creative thinking /outside of the box mindset.
? Strong organisational and interpersonal skills